As school library media specialists, we know how important our work is to the academic success of our students. Unfortunately, this is not always clear to our administrators. This leads us to ask: How do we show administrators the importance of our work and gain their support for our programs? This website seeks to answer this question.
Libraries act as a bridge connecting students with information.
It includes six main sections:
- Why Administrative Support? This section explains why school libraries and media specialists are so important to academic programs and illustrates how many library programs are losing funding in spite of their importance.
- Obstacles describes the issues preventing administrators from supporting school libraries.
- Strategies provides a list of ways school library media specialists can work to win the support of their administrators.
- Resources contains an annotated list of sources we consulted to create this site.
- Sassy Librarian Videos includes three videos about librarians trying to gain administrative support. These videos are meant to be taken humorously, though they do contain valuable strategies.
- Interactive Posters gives links to three Glogs we created that illustrate the information contained on this site.
About the Authors
Our names are Anne Belott, Nicole Lehotsky, and Amanda Hitson, and we are candidates for the Master of Library Science degree at The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. If you have any questions about the content of this site or suggestions of additional things that should be included, please contact us at: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.